Thursday 1 May 2008

Things I like about Britain - 1

There is an endless list of things I love about this country, this green island with occasional good weather where different cultures mix daily under the vigilant eye of the Queen.

On this day, 1st of May, I am spending my lunch break thinking of my friends and family on the continent who are off and enjoying their free day. Yes, I'm talking about labour day. It would be wrong to say Britain does not celebrate stuff like this, they've simply taken all religious and political reference out and called these festivities 'bank holiday'. Why this name I really don't know since on bank holidays everybody if off, not only bankers...
There are only two exceptions: Christmas and Easter. Good for the travel industry!

They've been clever though: all bank holidays are on a Monday. This means that 1) you always get a long week end, 2) of the two days next to the week end you get off the one where you probably work more (Friday after work drinks can start very very early....) and 3) if such a festivity is on a week end - you don't lose it since it is moved to a Monday anyway!

Pity is that you have to take holiday leave when you want to spend this day with others from the continent - but I guess I can live with that! :-)

No comments: