Sunday 22 June 2008

Amazon-less living

Some things enter your sphere of contiousness only when you get to know the opposite.

I am a huge internet fan. I started emailing heeps after moving abroad, shopping online food and wine when I realised that it saves me the carrying, buying books and DVDs online when I realised how quickly I can do it without the trip to the shops. Not to mention the cheap flights and the online banking, the organic veggie box and buying gig tickets.

In London people use the internet a lot more than in other countries. Here I started using Amazon. Yeah, I did know it - but Italy doesn't have its own regional page. As matter of fact Italy is not the only Amazon-less country (see bottom of their site). But don't wory - Italians can buy books online. There are actually two Italian sites to do that.

So is it really so crazy not to have your regional Amazon? Well, I never missed it. I don't miss brands if something else gives me the same service for the same price. Why then are people so surprised to hear Italy doesn't have its own Amazon? Again, it's the brand thing. A word understood all over the world, even if you don't speak the same language. It makes people fell less vulnerable.

No comments: